What are Go Teams?
Go Teams are teams of adults or students headed to a location to do evangelism or service work. In the past, you may have heard of these referenced as "mission trip teams". The title "Go Teams" comes from Jesus sending off the disciples in the Great Commission.
In Matthew 28:He says: "All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me. Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the very end of the age".
Jesus says that he is in power over both heaven and earth. Know that, we have confidence going into the world to proclaim the gospel (the good news of Jesus). Our Go Teams are headed to various parts of Brandon, Florida and Salt Lake City, Utah to tell of our God through words, and display his character through deeds.
Teams and Prayer Requests
Salt Lake City, UT
In Utah, heaven is on a lot of people's minds...because about 60% of the 3.2 million population identifies as a follower of the Mormon faith. Mormonism (Latter Day Saints) is a works-based religion that has deceived millions of people all over the world, especially in Salt Lake City. While using words that sound Christian, Mormonism is far from it, captive to a works-based, man-exalting theology. This year, we have eight students and five adults from our LIFT high school ministry going to Utah to have dialogue with people at the Mormon temple, and students from BYU and local high schools. We are partnered with MAVEN, a ministry dedicated to developing the youth to know the truth of Christianity. The team has spent the last five months learning about the foundations of both Christianity and Mormonism, why Mormonism is inconsistent with what the Bible teaches, and how to lead our Mormon friends to the one true God.
- That God would prepare and change the hearts of the LDS believers; that they would be willing to leave the Mormon religion and turn to a saving faith in Jesus Christ.
- That our students would be encouraged by scripture, and turn to God in situations of trial on the trip.
- For team unity as we engage unbelievers, for us to be able to encourage one another in times of discouragement.
- That we would maintain kindness, care, and humility when engaging with unbelievers of all sorts.
Backyard Team (Brandon, FL)
Missions implies GOING, but that doesn't always mean going far. Right here in Brandon, we have a team of middle schoolers who have spent months preparing their hearts and minds to serve people right in our own backyard. Our students will be serving at places like ECHO (Emergency Community Help Organization) and The Chapel Mango. We have six adults and twenty three middle school students anxiously waiting to serve! This trip is also an opportunity for students to learn how to facilitate a quiet time on their own, and discuss what God is teaching them as a team.
- That our students would serve with kind, loving hearts and represent Christ well in the community.
- That they would be equipped to notice the needs in our community and desire to help others.
- That our community would be able to see the character of Jesus through our students.
- That our students would grow in their love for Christ through devotional times and their service.
Vertical Sports Camp (Brandon, FL)
This summer our team of eleven middle and high school students are putting on an exciting new opportunity for children in the neighborhoods surrounding Bay Life Church. Vertical Sports Camp will be a four-day experience that teaches kids the fundamentals of basketball, soccer, and football and gets them in the game! The children will also have a chance to go vertical and get to know the God who created them through Bible lessons and friendships they create with students throughout the week. At the camp, Bay Life students will be teaching sports drills, leading hydration stations, teaching Bible lessons, building relationships with kids, and sharing a meal with the campers each day. Our greatest hope for this camp is to connect families to our church who may not know the Lord or have a church home.
- That God would be glorified.
- That the gospel would be proclaimed clearly and be understood, and that God would mercifully draw the children to faith and repentance.
- That many children who do not know Jesus would attend the camp.
- For families of the children attending camp; that they would get connected to our church and hear the good news of Jesus Christ.
- That the students would serve humbly and be conformed to the likeness of Jesus.
Kidapalooza (Brandon, FL)
Our team of twenty eight students have been partnering with Children's Ministry to prep for Kidapalooza all year! Kidapalooza and Kidapalooza Jr are our mega-VBS', and hundreds of kids between the ages of 5 and 10 usually attend. At Kidapalooza, children get to hear the gospel, worship God with vibrant songs, and play some awesome games! Our hope in this event is that children get to hear the gospel and place their faith in Jesus Christ as their savior, and to connect their families to our church so that they will also hear the good news.
- That the children attending Kidapalooza would hear and understand what Jesus has done for them, and place their faith in him!
- That our team would lead the children and other volunteers by example in kindness, patience, and grace
- That the children who attend Kidapalooza would tell their families about Jesus, and that their families would come back to Bay Life and learn more about who Jesus really is.